Thursday, July 10, 2008

Man Cards

That sounds so tough, doesn't it? *Man Cards* Makes me want to grunt like Tim "The Toolman" Taylor! LOL (please tell me you remember the show Home Improvement and I am not showing my age!)


Anyway... Pine and I are going to the SCS Summer Stamp Fest in Apple Valley, MN this weekend. I haven't seen some of these girls for a long time, so I am EXCITED! Kathleen puts on a great party!


It's a shoebox swap, so I needed to come up with something simple, but still has wow factor. Now I have been accused in the past of not keeping my shoebox cards very simple (toooooo much glitter! lol), so I tried really hard with this one. Plus, I figured everyone is always looking for ideas for man cards.





I used the "It doesn't get much better" Thomas Kincade stamp by Cornish Heritage Farms. It is so perfectly detailed that it makes for a perfect monochromatic image. (fewer ink pads make for more simple, right?) The green layer is a Flannel Plaid background stamp (SU!) stamped in Handsome Hunter on Handsome Hunter cardstock.


But, even a simple card is all about the details for me! The image is stamped twice on ivory cardstock. One is trimmed out around the outer edge of the rectangle and the other is trimmed out around the oval edge. Both are then outlined with a gold paint pen. The oval image is then placed over the base using a heavy piece of chipboard to raise it up just slightly (foam tape was too high).



The brown strip of cardstock that separates the colors of the card base has one simple line of faux stitching (using a tracing wheel) down the center. The sentiment is stamped on Kraft, punch out with the SU! oval punch and then placed on the green layer with two gold brads.



waaLA! A simple, Manly Man card that can be created in 10 minutes (I'll have all pieces cut and ready to go, of course)!



'ooooo I've got to run to work! I'll add the supply list tonight.
HB


edited to add:

Supplies
Stamps: Thomas Kincade (CHF), SU!, Hero Arts Paper: Kraft, Handsome Hunter, Choc. Chip (SU!), Neenah Ink: Handsome Hunter, Choc Chip (SU!) Misc: gold brads (Making Memories), gold painters pen, oval punch (SU!), paper piercer, tracing wheel

10 comments:

Lynn Mercurio said...

This is a great design HB...I love how the flannel plaid looks in this nice green color...it compliments your image so well. Great job.

Stefanie Staniak said...

Wonderful card HB. Your creative talents will always continue to impress me !! :)

Pam said...

Beautiful as always HB!!

You and Pine have fun this weekend, can't wait to hear all about it!!

Wendy aka wendella247 said...

Wow, this is a fantastic VERY manly card. I'm definitely going to save this one for future reference (translated--CASEing!)

Anonymous said...

beautiful card!!

MJ

Amy said...

Hi HB! I can't believe I've never read your blog! See how behind the blog times I am! Well, I've got you in my Google Reader now, so I won't miss another post. It was so fun to meet you at the SCS gathering today, it's always so wonderful to make new friends who share the same love of stamping that I do. If the Twin Cities girls get their butts in gear, we'll be down to shop in St. Cloud soon. And when we do, we'll let you and Pine know, ok?

Hugs,
Amy

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous card!!

kathleenh said...

Hi HB! I'm so glad you and Pine came to the festivities! The day went way too fast and before I knew it it was over. I enjoyed seeing you again!

You're right, we always have a need for a manly card. The card is a very handsome manly card.

Heather McNally and Melissa MacDonald said...

Simply PERFECT!

sandyh50 said...

Wow, I love this card. I'm still a newbie so is it necessary to stamp the image twice? Maybe I don't understand. It looks like the oval image would cover up the rectangular image. I love learning new stuff. Ihave that flannel background stamp so I am gong to give this a try.

Thanks for sharing!